Sunday, May 25, 2003

In response to the Spindlers' Challenge to submit a spindle spun skein of yarn to Spin Off for their "rare breeds" issue, I purchased 8 oz. of GCN (Gulf Coast Native) from Running Moon Farm in Lousianna. Good thing too! Even though the skein needs to be 2 oz. or less, it took me 4 attempts before I got one I was willing to submit!

All 4 skeins are double ply GCN, weighing between 1.5 and 1.9 oz. The first skein is from wool I felted when I dyed it with Wiltons food color. The second skein is natural GCN with pink and purple Angelina added for sparkle. I received my Angelina in the mail on the day I started this skein and threw some in on a whim. I don't care for the result. The third skein is another dye attempt. Though it only felted minimally, the color didn't take and most of it washed out. It continues to bleed in water even now. I really don't like the washed out color of it at all. All of these first three skeins are my "normal" 12-14 wpi.

Skein 4 is a bit of a break-through. It is my first 20 wpi skein!!! I also learned to "long draw" spinning on a spindle while working on this skein.

It is natural, undyed GCN. It is very soft and I really do like the color. Sometimes I need to learn to "leave well enough alone"!!! This is the skein I think I will submit.

No comments: