Monday, March 21, 2005

Well, I am still pregnant, and I still can't believe it. It just seems so unimaginable that I could be having a baby at 40. I am over 11 weeks along in my pregnancy, and I told myself I would have to get used to the idea when I hit 12 weeks and was past my normal miscarriage point. It looks like I am going to have to start getting used to the idea, at least after Friday.

Now keeping in mind I have absolutely NOTHING for babies or pregnancy, a normal person might pick up maternity clothes, a book on pregnancy or baby names or even start shopping around for cribs. Not me. Here is my initial baby shopping:



I picked up 4 knitting books with baby patterns and some wonderful baby silk yarn from Elann.

We started a sock knit along on the Christian Artisans list. We are doing a toe-up sock and it is my first. To make things more challenging, I decided to try a cotton/elastic yarn blend for the first time as well.



We are using an online sock pattern. One of the benefits of knitting socks toe-up is that you aren't supposed to have to swatch. But since I was using a funky yarn, I thought I'd go ahead and swatch anyway.

Keeping up with the ladies on Christian Artisans is a challenge. But it has got me knitting more, which has got to be good. So what if I never get all our paperwork into the insurance company, right? At least I will have socks to wear.



Here is my progress as of yesterday. I made up a simple cable pattern for the top of the foot and will carry it into the cuff. I like the way it is turning out even if I had to frog the toe 4 times before I got it to work.

The women on the Christian Artisans list are the most wonderful women I have ever "met." They are kind and thoughtful and generous, in addition to being talented and all around amazing. Lynn, knowing I like greens and golds and Silkworker silk, sent me this beautiful surprise:




I've just never met ladies like the ones on this list before. I am so blessed to be a part of such a wonderful group!

We had Amanda's baby shower on Christian Artisans last Friday. I made another play quilt tote bag.




The bag is a quilt where baby can play. Then it folds up into a bag to take with you and for carrying some toys.




This was my first sewing project since the hurricane. I made it on my very old Sew Easy 250, since my nice Designer 1 failed to survive the battering storm surge that destroyed our house and most everything in it. What a difference! While my older sewing machine is nice, there is nothing like sewing on a top of the line machine!!! I miss my Designer 1.

I finished another pair of socks.




They still need to be washed and blocked. I wanted to hurry up and get them off the needles before starting the Christian Artisans sock KAL.

I finally sewed up and blocked the chemo hat I made for my grandmother.




It turned out nice. Now I just have to get it into the mail. My grandmother is back in the hospital and probably dying this time. I don't even know if the hat will get there while she is still alive. I'm so sad about my grandmother.

What happens when you give an 8 year old boy a set of tools?




Eventually the tools and a toy or two end up in the same room.




And when that 8 year old boy thinks his pregnant mom is napping, he starts wondering how his helicopter works.




Actually, I was delighted that he wanted to take apart his helicopter to see how it worked. Gregory has autism and there was a time when such a task would have been beyond desire or ability. He actually got the entire thing into a pile of pieces and was able to work some of the computer chips with is finger. Once Gregory saw how complicated the helicopter was on the inside, he decided it was still a cool toy after all, even if he has had it for as long as he can remember. So Kurt got stuck putting the whole thing back together on Sunday. I was quite surprised that he managed to do it.

I've been thinking a lot about my loom again. I really want to get it fixed.




So after several emails and pictures sent back and forth with Leclerc Looms, I have a starting shopping list of parts which I am going to order. Kurt said he would help me fix the loom once I get the parts so hopefully I won't damage it further with my efforts!

No comments: