Thursday, March 03, 2005

I have been positively distracted this month. A couple of months ago, a dear internet friend turned 40 and then found out she was pregnant. I laughed and thought how much better that it was her and not me. Then I turned 40 on January 27. And that very same weekend I found out I was unexpectedly, unthinkably, undeniably pregnant too. It is obviously a tough year for turning 40!



Some time ago, Stasia made a beautiful baby sweater for someone who was having a baby. It was darling so I bought the book she used thinking it would be a great source for shower gifts. Little did I know then I would be using the book for inspiration for my own child.



It is amazing to me that a doctor can look at a little smudge on an ultra sound and determine the day which your child should be born. For me, this little one is due October 8, 2005. (Using my superior math skills I had calculated an early September due date and was devastated to discover I would have to be pregnant for a whole extra month.) However, I have a poor medical history with pregnancies and my doctor and I have already decided it would be better if I was not permitted to go into labor. So we will choose a date for delivery by c-section sometime before October 8.

I spent the last month tired, sleeping and dealing with morning sickness. So I haven't accomplished much on the fiber front. I did manage to finish Gregory's watch cap about a month ago.



One of our favorite shows to watch as a family is Star Gate SG1. Gregory has wanted one of the black watch caps worn by Teal'k and Col. O'Neill for awhile.



He wore it constantly for the first couple of weeks after I finished it.

About the same time I found out I was pregnant, I found out my grandmother had cancer and was probably dying. She lives in California and there is no way I can get out there right now. But I could knit her a chemo cap.



I knit her the Creatures of the Reef shawl a couple of years ago and she loved it. I just wish this project wasn't for such a sad purpose. All I have left to do is sew up the back seam and finish it off.

After "fixing" my tri-loom (and creating as many problems as the hurricane with my poor tools skills), I am weaving a plain weave shawl from some Polworth fiber I picked up at the Destin Spin In last year and which survived Hurricane Ivan in a bin high in a closet.



It is hard to tell, but the colors are primarily teal, fading to a sea foam green and to a misty purple. There was more vm in the roving than I would like, but the fiber is nice and soft.

I recently splurged on some luscious old fashion Corriedale fleece from my dear friend Cary.



Isn't it gorgeous? I also got a couple partial fleeces in other colors too. Cary's fleece is softer than, or at least as soft as, merino and is just incredible! I just don't believe she has enough sheep in her flock! The waiting list for her fleece is pretty long, but it is so worth it if you can get some of it! I am still trying to figure out exactly how to wash and dry this fleece since our present living quarters are pretty small. But I will figure it out!

I am almost 9 weeks pregnant. I am hoping in a couple of weeks I will start feeling better and will be able to work on my various projects again. Right now, I'm just trying to keep the family fed, the laundry clean and the kids in school. However, I am scouting for baby patterns and baby yarns. I've never been a pregnant knitter before and want to explore the possibilities!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! My hubby and I are trying, and I'm 32. Glad to know ther is hope for us still (grin)! I love SG-1, too. Great cap! :) Nicole nuts4knitting