Friday, January 27, 2006

Each year during the last week in January, spinners and fiber fanatics gather at the Seascape Resort in Destin, Florida for the annual Spin In.



The Spin In offers lots of shopping. . .



Spinning, knitting and good company.



And a great deal of silliness.



One group dressed up a variety of stuffed animals and declared them delegates from around the globe.



The theme for the Spin In this year was "Birds of a Feather." So in addition to "Why did the chicken cross the road?" jokes, there were many other feather filled activities.



Gabrielle, who accompanied me to help take care of Michael, took charge of our duck call.



Michael hung out with the spinners and charmed them all with most excellent manners. The prayers of my Christian Artisans friends truly availed much in this regard!



Among other things, Gabrielle discovered she loves to shop. She bought a spindle and some fiber and Sally tried to teach her to spin. Unfortunately my camera ran out of batteries soon after I arrived at the Spin In so I did not get a picture of this. But praise God, some of the Florida group went to lunch and brought back some more batteries for me so all photo opportunities were not lost.



Gabrielle found this cute stuffed Sheepie which she had to have. Sheepie really went through it too. After allowing Gabrielle to have more cookies than was good for her (and King cake and candy), she got a little wild and tried to ride sheepie.



Sally and Teresa from our Florida group are excellent spinners and extremely nice ladies. I am very blessed whenever I spend time with them as well as all of the Florida panhandle spinners.



I love door prizes. This year I am positive I received the absolute best door prize offered. Sharon, another spinner, put together this neat basket with a Sheepie for me, some cotton, a tahkli and a spinning bowl too. My tahkli had rusted in the hurricane so it was neat to receive another. The basket now sits next to the rocking chair by the fireplace and holds my knitting projects. I just love this door prize.



The one thing I had hoped to buy while at Spin In was a spindle Kate I saw last year. This one is not as ornate as the ones I remembered, but it is still a very neat contraption and I believe it will work much better than the shoe box I have been using to date. It is from a business called Wooden Ewe. She also makes lovely spindles. Gabrielle bought one of her spindles and brought one home for Gregory as well. Both children lost spindles in the hurricane and so we finally replaced them.



I hadn't planned to buy these, but I've been doing some organizing of my stash and tools lately and have a lack of storage options. Many of the ladies who bought these baskets during Spin Ins past rave about them so I picked up a medium and a small one. They actually have straps for carrying on your back. There is a strap which will allow the basket to be hung from a peg on the wall which is what I presently intend to do. These baskets are actually quite large and hold a great deal.



I fully intended to purchase this new Bosworth Spindle. Each year at Spin In I bring home a new Bosworth spindle. This is a very fun tradition I maintain each year. Suzanne from Fire Ant Ranch who carries the Bosworth Spindles also has fiber. When I saw the pretty teal mohair curls, I couldn't stop myself. Then, Suzanne made sure I had the first right of refusal for additional fiber she unearthed with the same colors. What can I say. I'm a sucker for all things teal.



In addition, this wool, alpaca, camel/merino, and merino/tencel followed me home. I found these items while I shopped for my Christian Artisans secret sister gift. I really hadn't planned to bring home any more fiber but justified it since I have not spun these kinds of fiber before, well except for the alpaca, but she is a local fiber producer and I wanted to support her business.

There was only one thing I didn't like about the Destin Spin In this year and that was the fact that I could only attend one day. It was so much fun and way too short! I am definitely looking forward to next year!

No comments: