Sunday, August 31, 2003

I like to update my blog when I finish a project or something is going well. Unfortunately, that is not the case at present. I've had "one of those weeks" where nothing seems to go right and I don't really LOVE anything on which I am working.

I ordered a set of smaller knitting needles to start my second COTR shawl. They arrived this week - and were the wrong size. So, back they went and I will have to wait at least another week to get started. In the meantime, the front of Gabrielle's "Bobble Hell" sweater has been the project to which I turn when I need to relax (imagine that!). I've accomplished quite a bit of it actually.



If things continue this way, Gabrielle may actually get this sweater BEFORE she outgrows it! I am really enjoying this sweater much better since I switched to Continental knitting! I am so grateful to Nannette Huber who got me started!

I've also been knitting a stranded sweater on my ISM for Gabrielle. I'm making up technique as I go so naturally, there have been lots of moments of frustration! But I sure am learning a great deal and for that, I am grateful!



I didn't have any patterns for stranded knits so I enlarged a small cross stitch design instead. I am not overjoyed with how it turned out, but 4 year old Gabrielle is delighted and that is good. With a trip to much colder Las Vegas planned for December, she will need some warm clothes.

I wanted to make a pair of socks for my husband and knew my stash of Merino wool wouldn't do, so I carded up some lovely brown Shetland I acquired in a trade. Unfortunately, lurking in the Shetland wool was enough vm to mulch my garden. And if that wasn't enough of a challenge, most of the wool was 1/2 inch long tufts. I assume this is what is called "second cuts". I did my best cleaning and spinning the stuff, but the yarn certainly didn't turn out to be the smooth, soft and evenly spun yarn I envisioned.



I might still try to knit some socks for Kurt from this. However, I think I have some Wensleydale top I can spin up and that might be better in the long run. Kurt may end up with two pairs of socks as a result and I am pricing mini-combs. I won't touch that Shetland again until I have a means to get rid of the junk!


Gregory saw some knit robot material in my fabric stash (he LOVES all things robot) and wanted some sweats made from it (I'm sewing winter clothes for the kids right now). I told him the sweats would probably come out looking like pajamas, but he doesn't care.




I finished the sweatshirt. I added a kangaroo pocket to try to make it look more like clothes. I still think it looks like pajamas, but Gregory is happy and for that, I am grateful. These will make nice play clothes and we don't go out very often anyway.

No pictures of the kids this week. My back and neck have been all out of whack again and this morning I woke up with ANOTHER migraine. The family went to church without me and the quiet has helped. I should probably go back to the chiropractor, but I'd rather get a set of mini-combs. An adjustment only lasts a few weeks, but the combs. . . I have a good Mary Kay check coming this month so we'll see where my priorities are then!

No comments: